Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Uman. 4am


Once you finally arrive in Uman.  The first order of business is to find your place to sleep.   The real problem at this point is the lack of a working fone.  With a working internet connection you can contact people, use google maps, play games, write blog posts, etc.

Without one, you are walking (literally) in the dark.



I had the foresight to make a copy of the map to the house i was staying at, and copied the address.  I also made sure to come with a bunch of singles (dollars).  

These are essential, especially when you first arrive, because the porters will carry your bags halfway across the planet for one or two dollars.  And if your packs are heavy, which mine were, that definitely makes life easier.

Unfortunately I did not have the foresight to realize I would be trying to find the apartment at 4am in the morning.  So although the porter and I were pretty sure we found the right spot, I didnt want to take a chance on waking the wrong people up.

Which meant walking back half a kilometer up and down a bunch of hills back to Pushkina street.

At this point i decided to go to the tzion and chill out till the morning.   This was a great idea, but the guards were not letting people in with bags.  So, exhausted, i put my bags down on the sidewalk.
A yeshiva student was walking by and wearily, i asked him if he knew of a place to crash.  He said he himself is looking, I nodded and decided to simply relax for a bit.

Above I mentioned the need for internet and fone access.  During the holidays, several different Ukranian telecom companies send representatives to Uman to sell and set up sim cards for people.  Luckily, two of these guys were standing around 3 feet from where I was sitting and offered to set it up for me.  One problem solved.

Then the yeshiva student came back and offered to sneak my bags into the tzion.  I was a bit out of it, and decided why not.  Without givin me a chance to change my mind, he grabbed my large bag and hiked it down the hill, to an unguarded fence which he climbed over via a rickety platform, onto a concrete ledge, then across a steep hill between houses, up five flights of stairs and dripped it off!  I know this because i followed him the entire way.  I really owe that guy


The unguarded fence


The rickety platform leading to the fence


He climbed over this with my duffel bag


 
The post of DEATH! You must step on this and swing across or DIE!!


The steep hill of DOOM!




Steps


More steps



Even more steps



Home free!




My bag.  He carried this the entire way,  over the fence, past the hill, up all those steps.  Is that an incredible guy or what?


Now at this point I decided that I needed coffee.  I left my bag at the place and took a walk around town.  There was a small grocery where I picked up an instand soup (2$), and next door was a pizza place where the owner kindly offered to put a pot on for me so i could get some hot water.




 Uman pizza place.  A lot of people open up temporary stores and shops of all kinds



I found a nice crew with a pizza shop, gave me a chance to relax, drink my coffee.  The owner liked me and offered me some free food, refused my money.  Why is everyone offering me free food?  I think im giving off a homeless vibe.  Not that im complaining mind you.

 

Nachum the pizza man.  Yup, definite homeless vibe!




 





 




 








No comments:

Post a Comment